Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 6 - Interactivity and More


This has been another very intense week and I have learned so much from the readings and links within the readings and, of course, from the comments posted by my peers doing this amazing course.What a rich, diverse group! It's a privilege to be among them.
I believe that the introduction to interactive powerpoint presentations has been by far the most challenging one for most of us. I had had an introduction to it some time ago when I did another online course on webtools but it was a great opportunity to get my hands dirty again.
Of course, we must NOT forget this is just another tool we can use to engage our students more in their learning process. However, there must be a real purpose to use whatever tool we come across. A badly prepared teacher can ruin the best activity even if it is supported by the fanciest tool available. We go back to the basics : preparation is essential!


Another great moment of the week was the opportunity to interact with the Editors for FORUM (Max Koller and Tom Glass), an amazing publication by the United States Department of State for teachers of English and distributed abroad by U.S. embassies. I have been reading this magazine for a long time and it is a great resource to be used in the classroom. I think that for those who like writing, it is a great moment to start considering writing an article to be published in the future. It is certainly hard work but I am sure it is well worth the effort.
Have you ever published anything? Would you like to? Is there a topic you are particularly interested in to devote time and energy and write an academic paper?


D letter A Registered Roundel letter E

I would like to conclude with a favorite quote of mine:

"Whoever dares to teach must never cease to learn". - John Cotton Dana

5 comments:

  1. Gil,

    You're so right! Purpose and preparation are paramount!

    I've never published. And you?

    BTW, I loved your Interactive PowerPoint!

    Helô

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helô...

    Thanks for the comment. No, I have not published anything so far but I would love to. As I mentioned Isabela Villas Boas, from CTJ, has just published on FORUM and I think this is quite motivating. If I ever do it, I would like to write on something related to technology, of course. I am very much interested in the use of social media nowadays. BTW, are you on Facebook/Twitter?
    I also liked your powerpoint very much.
    See you...
    Gilmar

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gil,

    Remember the book I told you about?

    http://www.disal.com.br/detalhes/index.asp?A1=&A2=C&codigo=178061.1&41664xdNjBccepxEMzAoKsQCRveXegSwNXymymDa

    DISAL June 17 at 2 PM
    LIVRARIA DA VILA June 28 at 7 PM

    For details:

    Dica 308 at http://dicasingles.wordpress.com/

    I'll tell my students about it!

    Helô

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helô,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll also look for it and recommend to the students.
    I am worried because I couldn't do anything from our course so far. This week has been one of the craziest at CCBEU. Yesterday we received the Consul General, Mr Thomas Kelly and the Cultural Affairs Officer, Scott Whitmore here. I had been preparing for this event since last week. When they left I had to teach two groups and then stay up till 2:30 am trying to put up a presentation for a group of 12 novice teachers here.
    Anyways, I'll try to catch up with everything.
    How about you? Have you been working on your project? Do you teach at Alumni every day? I still have tomorrow morning and exhausted is not the word for me.
    Keep in touch.
    Best,
    Gilmar

    ReplyDelete