Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 5 - Alternative Assessment and More


We have come to the end of Week 5 and as usual there has been so much learning! Our discussion thread has been around alternative assessment and I have been particularly interested in this topic. Coincidentally I had been involved with the Mid Term Exams (Written Tests) in our center this past week and that is the main form of assessment we use.
After reading the suggested articles and also the very inspiring comments of my peers I feel a bit "sad" as I see we are doing so many "wrong" things.
Our moderator, Carl Falgraf, was very thoughtful in that he showed us there is no such thing as right x wrong when it comes to assessment. We have a number of issues to consider according to our schools' policies and even the government rules about educational assessment. There are different forms of assessment and they are not simply good or bad.
Another thing that I liked a lot was the possibility to learn more about creating Rubrics using Rubistar and WebQuests - something I want to devote more time to apply to my teaching practice.


Wish you all a great end of Sunday and welcome to Week 6!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this great video. I can just say that you've made a good point when it comes to different ways of assessing - right vs. wrong. I absolutely agree with your conclusion of this post - we have to devote more time to apply new things to our teaching practice. If we don't do it, we can't expect our students to improve much and have better language skills.

    Eldin

    ReplyDelete